Legend & History of the
Place & Names of Assumption Parish
by Elsie A. AllemanC 1936
Elm Hall is one of the largest plantations in Assumption Parish. It was located at front of present day Napoleonville.
Dr. Ebenezer Eaton Kittredge came to Napoleonville in early 19th century. He was an able physician & a man of large wealth. During his time, the plantation was noted as a place of hospitable entertainment.
Dr. Willoughby Eaton Kittredge, grandson of E. E. Kittredge & a prominent physician, observed the many elms which surrounded the plantation home on Elm Hall plantation and thinks this is why his grandfather named his first home A Elm Hall@ .
In 1936, Elm Hall was owned by the Godchaux Sugar Company. The home formerly occupied by Walter Godchaux is now the home of Charles E. Landry.
The Godchaux Canal drained Elm Hall Plantation land & emptied into Bayou Crocodile that flows into Lake Verret. It was built during the time when Leon Godchaux owned Elm Hall Plantation.
Elm Hall Plantation was destroyed by fire on September 9, 1922.
To view photos of Elm Hall Plantation as it is today, click on the photo page.